App localization provides digital marketers with the opportunity to reach a wider audience. Find out how to take advantage of this effective marketing strategy.
Why is app localization important?
Mobile app localization is the customization of content for other languages, making it possible to increase your app’s exposure.
It allows you to target users in other areas who may speak different languages or have different preferences, opening the door to a worldwide market.
Although the English language is a large market that can lead to global exposure, failing to strategically reach other markets could prevent your app from reaching its full revenue-generating potential.
Recent app localization update
Custom store listing has made app localization even more effective. How?
Instead of targeting specific languages, you can focus on specific countries, allowing any user within a particular country to use your app, no matter what language that user speaks.
That means your app’s content and store pages can be customized to suit each targeted country’s unique pain points, preferences, and popular search terms.
How to localize your app
Before diving into the steps, remember that tapping into new markets create additional expenses.
Keep your costs in check by gradually expanding into one new market at a time, rather than jumping into all of them at once.
Not only will your budget thank you, but you will also stay sane. Don’t underestimate how much work it will take to research and target each market. Keep it manageable by focusing on one market at a time.
With all that being said, you are now ready to look at each phase of the mobile app localization process.
Don’t fall into the trap of attempting to reach every mobile user in the world. Your offer won’t fit every type of audience and some won’t be worth the time and money it takes to target them.
Conduct adequate research to determine the best countries and languages to target.
- App Analytics – Take note of where the majority of your users come from, especially your high-quality users. That might be a region you should be focusing on;
- App Reviews – Pay attention to how people from different areas describe your app,
- Competitors – Look and see how your competitors are faring internationally. The locations that give them the best success might be indicative of where you should reach out as well.
- Translate App – Ideally, you would hire a professional translator for this step, since Google Translate probably won’t give the best results. The process requires an XML or XLIFF file, and it’s highly recommended that you add comments to strings where necessary to help the translator better understand how the text should be translated;
- Customize Content – In many cases, it won’t do to simply translate the text. You should also edit the wording so that it’s relevant to the user in the specific location your customized app is being used. In addition to the text, you might also have to customize images, videos, audio, and currency,
- App Store Localization – And don’t forget about the app store page, which is just as important to customize as the app itself. Different marketing messages appeal to different markets, creating the need to customize ASO by changing the keywords, app description, icon, screenshots, and video on your app store page.
The last step is to analyze how well your app is received by the newly targeted region or language. App metrics can help you decide if your marketing strategies are successful in the locations your app is targeting.
App localization opens up a whole new world of opportunities for digital marketers. Don’t miss out!
Feeling a bit lost? Get help from a specialist!