Gamification apps are incredibly effective in increasing user retention and engagement. Never heard of this tactic before? Start reading to learn all about how to use gamification marketing to get and keep more users.
What is Gamification?
Gamification apps utilize game mechanics to motivate users to take specific actions, all for the purpose of engaging and retaining them.
Although not actually a game in the traditional sense, these apps borrow techniques that game designers use to engage players. Gamification in business is becoming more popular because it increases customer engagement.
Game mechanics, the gamification tools that help motivate users, can include:
- Competition against other users.
- Earning points.
- Achieving something.
- Following rules.
- Climbing to a higher status.
- Freedom of self-expression.
- Setting goals.
- Getting badges.
- Moving through different levels.
- Collaborating with other users.
Why Use Gamification
There are many great reasons why you should be taking advantage of mobile gamification for your own app. The results of a successful gamification marketing strategy may include:
- Attracting more users.
- Increasing acquisitions.
- Improving user retention.
- Growing your app.
- Encouraging users to recommend your app to others.
- Increasing user engagement.
These are all important goals for any app developer and gamification can help you reach them more quickly.
How to Use Gamification
Now that you know why you should use this valuable marketing strategy, you might be wondering how exactly to use it.
Before we get into the specifics, remember to keep the following tips in mind:
- Set your goals – Do you want to increase user retention? Do you want more users to learn about your app? Pick a target and aim for it!
- Think about your users – What would make them more excited about your app? What would make them more likely to use it frequently?
- Think about your app – Keep in mind that not every idea works for every app.
- Don’t overcomplicate things – The last thing you want to do is make your app more difficult for customers to use. They might stop using your app, which would defeat the entire purpose of gamification.
Now here are some great ideas to get you started, but don’t be afraid to think up your own!
Challenges and Rewards
Challenge users to take specific actions and promise them a reward for completing the challenge. Sometimes all it takes to increase user engagement is a little motivation.
Set Goals And Measure Progress
If possible, allow users to set goals. But don’t let them lose the desire to meet those goals. Keep pushing them forward by showing them the progress they are making, and stir them to continue making forward progress.
Each time a goal is reached give some sort of reward, but don’t stop there! Encourage users to set a new, higher goal and start the process all over again.
Here are some ways to measure progress:
- Use a points system.
- Allow users to create to-do lists that will bring them closer to their goals.
- Send reminders about their goals and set deadlines for finishing them.
Encourage Friendly Competition
Allow users to compare their progress with other users. It might spur them on to keep using your app.
For example, some fitness apps reveal how each user is doing in reaching workout goals. Seeing others reach their goals might be the motivation your users need to keep them using your app.
Make Learning Fun
Education apps can use games and flashcards to make learning fun. Earning points and completing challenges allows users to track their progress. Competition between users can motivate them to keep learning.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to brainstorming ways to gamify your app. There are countless ways to make using your app more enjoyable and rewarding for users.
Start thinking about it today. The sooner you get started, the sooner you can reap the amazing benefits of app gamification.